Monday, September 10, 2007

Jane Wyman, 1914-2007

Apparently death comes in threes, or so the adage goes, as one of those last remaining greats of Hollywood's Golden Age has passed away. Jane Wyman, who passed away today at the age of 93, was possibly best known for two non-movie related items, first being her marriage to future President Ronald Reagan and the second would be her stint on Falcon Crest. However, her film career was easily enough to distinguish her on her own. My first filmic date with Ms. Wyman was in Pollyanna, as Aunt Polly, and then as the girlfriend role in The Lost Weekend. Wyman would receive four Academy Award nominations, for The Yearling, Johnny Belinda, The Blue Veil, and Magnificent Obsession. If you want to get involved with her filmography, those four would be a great way to start. And of course, she is also extremely well-known for her wry and clever Oscar speech, where, after winning for playing a deaf-mute in Johnny Belinda, "I won this award for keeping my mouth shut, so I think I'll do it again now." If only today's actresses could be so clever. So, RIP to Angela Channing, Aunt Polly, Orry Baxter, and Belinda McDonald-you will be missed.

Oh, and in a plea to all of my favorite celebrities, keep eating your vegetables. This has been an awful summer for my favorite entertainers passing away.

No comments: