Thursday, September 13, 2007

Love at the Movies: A Guessing Game



The fifty most romantic lines from my fifty favorite movie romances-do you know where they're from?

1. "We'll always have Paris."
2. "Of course, you idiot. I always wear it; I've always worn it; I've always loved you."
3. "I'll never let go Jack, I will never let go."
4. "I wish I knew how to quit you."
5. "No, I only know that I love you."
6. "I'll tell you one thing, Fred, darling... I'd marry you for your money in a minute."
7. "Tale old as time, true as it can be, barely even friends, then somebody bends, unexpectedly."
8. "Your girl is lovely Hubbell."
9. "Let's never come here again because it will never be as much fun."
10. "My husband and son are on that train. I want to get on that train. Did you hear me? I want to get on that train."
11. "I'll give you the moon, Mary."
12. "Rome! By all means, Rome. I will cherish my visit here in memory as long as I live."
13. "This is a story about...love."
14. "It was the nearest thing to heaven."
15. "Love is too weak a word for what I feel - I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you."
16. "I still sometimes dream that I'm the mother of your children."
17. "Well, first of all, the two hundred pairs of eyes aren't focused on me. They're focused on you. And the answers are Sydney Ellen Wade, and because she said yes."
18. "I've already wasted my whole life. I want to tell you with my last breath that I have always loved you. I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you. Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit."
19. "I went from being all alone to being a fiancee, a daughter a granddaughter, a sister and a friend."
20. "My heart is, and always will be, yours."
21. "And don't forget, I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."
22. "Take me with you, Peter. Take me to your island. I want to do all those things you talked about."
23. "Edelweiss, edelweiss, every morning you greet me; small and white, clean and bright, you look happy to meet me."
24. "Oh Scottie, don't let me go."
25. "And would you dare to say, 'let's do the same as they.' I would, would you?"
26. "The most beautiful sound I ever heard-Maria, Maria, Maria."
27. "Oh Dexter, I'll be yar now, I promise to be yar."
28. "You're my knight in shining armor, don't forget it. You're going to get back on that horse and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight and away we're going to go, go, go!"
29. "I've grown accustomed to her face."
30. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me."
31. "Longing. Longing for a wave of love that would stir in me. That's what makes me clumsy. The absence of pleasure. Desire for love. Desire to love."
32. "How could I have known that murder could sometimes smell like honeysuckle?"
33. "I sacrificed three years for you. How could you love him after only three days?"
34. "Oh Jerry, let's not ask for the moon; we have the stars."
35. "Some day, they'll go down together, they'll bury them side by side, to a few, it'll be grief, to the law, a relief, but it's death for Bonnie and Clyde."
36. "Say it again, it keeps me awake." "I love you."
37. "He smashed all the lightbulbs with the heel of my slipper." "And you let him? Didn't run, didn't scream?" "Actually, I was sorta thrilled by it."
38. "Meet me in Montauk."
39. "I'd like to see you with your pants off, Mr. Reed."
40. "This is the night, it's a beautiful night, and they call it belle notte."
41. "Perhaps he knew, as I did not, that the Earth was made round so that we would not see too far down the road."
42. "The moon is reaching for me."
43. "It was like coming home, only to no home I'd ever known. I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic."
44. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."
45. "Charlie, that's a nice name."
46. "I just want to find a fish who isn't afraid of my dark chocolate layer... and of course she'd have to love my cookie too."
47. "Now it isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because, after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but - well, there haven't been any quiet moments."
48. "Can you see now?" "Yes, I can see now."
49. "No I despise you myself, for allowing myself to love you once."
50. "This is not life, Will. It is a stolen season."

How many can you name? And which lines/films should have made the list?

3 comments:

J.D. said...

1. Casablanca
3. Titanic
4. Brokeback Mountain
7. Beauty and the Best
9. Lost in Translation
13. Moulin Rouge!
18. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
23. The Sound of Music
29. My Fair Lady
30. The Graduate
33. House of Flying Daggers
40. Lady and the Tramp
47. Bringing Up Baby
49. The Painted Veil

Some of my favorites:

-- "Take me to Africa with you." (The Constant Gardener)
-- "You can't disappoint me, because whatever you are is exactly what I want." (Mozart and the Whale)
-- "Your hands are cold." (Pride & Prejudice)
-- "Go get 'em, tiger." (Spider-Man 2)

John T said...

I love the "Take Me to Africa with you" line as well. I love that Fiennes repeats with some of the ladies he has the best chemistry with onscreen (Weisz, Scott Thomas, Bonham Carter) multiple times. It's a throwback to the days when someone like Kate Hepburn would make multiple movies with Cary Grant and Spencer Tracy.

adam k. said...

#17 I believe is The American President. I'm kind of proud that I know that, if I'm right.

#38 is Eternal Sunshine.

#50: Shakespeare in Love

I'll hazard a guess that #35 is Bonnie and Clyde.

and #26 is West Sie Story.

I know Out of Africa must be here, but I can't find it. Moonstruck should be here also, but maybe it's not. And French Lt's Woman? Hmmm...