Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Hit Me With Your Best Shot: The VMA's!

I am SO excited about this extra post today.  I am usually not technologically savvy enough to do Nathaniel Rogers' Hit Me With Your Best Shot series (if you don't know what Nathaniel and the Film Experience are, I don't know what you're doing with your life, but click here immediately).  However, I was actually feeling ambitious today, and decided to take part in his HMWYBS series for the VMA Award nominees for Best Cinematography.  The goal of the project is to look at a movie, or in this case a music video, and pick your favorite single shot, and only one shot.  Sounds cool, right?  The Film Experience will do a rundown of all those who participated sometime this evening that I will provide a link to but here are my choices!


"Bad Blood," Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar

I don't really get this video, I will admit (what's the point of establishing a bunch of random characters, giving them names, and then not expanding the characters-what is this, an Avengers movie?), but I do love this shot of Hayley Williams, successfully capturing the appeal of Taylor Swift's girl-power punk-but-not-actually sort of vibe.  And I do dig the T-Swift.


"Two Weeks" FKA Twigs

I am not a "hip" music person, so I really only know FKA Twigs from her romance with Robert Pattinson, but I love this shot, principally because of the defiant queen look on her face (it reminds of the way Marilyn Horne used to end her arias) and the peak of an arm in the bottom right-hand corner, hinting at the gigantic world we're about to encounter.


"Thinking Out Loud," Ed Sheeran

This shot is a little bit pixilated, but I feel that's more from the excess of light, and I kind of love it as there's just something awash about this piece.  It's a ridiculously positive message of a song, and so is this video, which is actually a cool thing.  It's not manufactured girl-power style positive like "Bad Blood," but just light and airy and free.  Plus, that dancing-Ed Sheeran's got swagger.


"Never Catch Me," Flying Lotus ft. Kendrick Lamar

I love the way that this shot catches so much-the exuberance of the children, the mournful nature of the parishioners, but also the expanse of the church-there's so much detail here and throughout the background of this video, adding a fullness to its powerful message.


"Left Hand Free," Alt-J

This video's primary focuses are on experiencing youthful energy and freedom, along with admittedly showcasing the beauty of those randomly experiencing freedom.  This shot best seemed to encapsulate it, and the night scenes toward the end feel the most like what earned it this Best Cinematography nomination.

No comments: