Monday, April 06, 2015

Ten Thoughts I Had While Watching the Grace Helbig Show

I was out of town this weekend in the land of no internet and little cable (ahh, the sacrifices that we make for our relatives), so I didn't get to talk about the premiere of The Grace Helbig Show (Fridays at 10:30/9:30 central on E!).  Grace is one of my favorite YouTubers and I have been a fan of hers for years, so this was a truly exciting moment for me watching one of my favorite comedians making that jump from my smart phone screen to the small screen.  Here are ten random thoughts I had while watching the premiere:

1. Ahh!!! Grace is on television!  The monologue was so weird for me because it felt so odd to watch a monologue without a laugh track or an audience there to confirm the joke I just laughed at was funny.  But then again the same thing happens when I watch Grace's stream-of-consciousness videos so this is not the worst thing.

2. The decor is pure Grace.  I couldn't decide which touch I loved the best: the pig table or the series of poop emojis on the wall.  Either way, I'm looking forward to getting to know Grace's "house" each week along with watching her interview guests.

3. Speaking of, I thought the Aisha Tyler choice was smart.  Grace is still finding her bearings (she's not, say, Tyler Oakley where she's super used to interviewing celebrities on her channel, but I thought it was a very succinct interview), so comedians who are pro's at making the most out of an interview are strong choices.

4. I also LOVED the concept of the "question from last week's guest" idea.  This is something I haven't seen on another talk show, and it's so elegant and simple and cool.  Can't wait to see what some of the results of this are.

5. Can we just get Grace's brother Tim (who is the droll host of Tim Will Destroy You on YouTube) back every week with a random aside?  I love their banter in general-you can tell these are people who shared a wall for a decade or so.

6. I will admit when Mamrie came on I got a little misty.  My girls on TV!!!!

7. Mamrie makes everything better.  Pre-order her book on Amazon.com immediately.

8. I was enamored at the little winks she made to long-time fans even if the show didn't feel like you had to have watched her YouTube videos to get them.  In particular, there were the callbacks to Daily Grace and her years with that channel (the ding noise, the "it's Friday and you know what that means...").  This was a beautiful cue to the audience that this was our Gracie that we were watching.

9. Flula's "Suck it Chopin!" needs to become a meme immediately.

10. This may have been the first real Millennial talk show I have ever seen, and if there was any indication of that, it wasn't just bankable product that was being sold (Aisha Tyler's podcast, Mamrie's book), but also social media connections.  Aisha, Mamrie, and Flula all got their social media plugged throughout the show, as did Grace, proving that Grace's producers are smart about who is showing up for the show: digitally-savvy social media hounds who are used to these sorts of plugs and are big on building a network.

All-in-all, I thought it was an aces debut, feeling both very true to Helbig's YouTube persona without ever seeming unrelatable to someone unfamiliar with Grace.  What about you?  Were you all onboard with Grace's debut?  Are you excited for next week?  Share your thoughts in the comments!  And also follow me on Twitter @TMROJ!

No comments: