Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Habits at the Movies

It's been eons since we've done a "Get to Know John" post, so I thought that it was high time for one.  Anyone who knows me in real-life (or has read this blog enough to know my personality) can tell that I'm extremely regimented and a creature of habit.  I like things a certain way and love the details, and that goes especially for something that I am doing almost constantly this time of year: going to the movies.  I go to the movies even in off-seasons several times a month, and right now I'm going 4-5 times a week, and as a result, I have certain things that I love and certain things that I can't stand about the movie-going process, and I figured that this would be a great time to voice both my opinions (and hopefully yours in the comments), about different things related to going to the movies.

Best Candy

Winner: This is different for me in real life than at the movies.  In real life, you just can't beat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and I have stood by that assertion my entire life.  However, going to the movies you want something that melds well with your ridiculously calorie-intense meal, and those 1-2 peanut butter cups are not going to outlast the giant popcorn that you've got.  You have to pick something smaller, something classic, and I still need me some chocolate, so I go with classic plain M&M's (particularly mixed in with the popcorn so that the salt is all over them).
Runner-Up: I never have Sour Patch Kids in real life, but for some reason they're the perfect compliment to a movie trip (maybe it's because you are trying to guess the flavor when you're in the dark and the trailers are playing).  Either way, this is where I head if I'm not going chocolate-y.
Absolutely Not: I actually don't mind Junior Mints in moderation.  They're refreshing, and a cool treat after, say, Qdoba.  However, they're a terrible choice at a movie-unless you plan on making out during the movie, this is completely unacceptable.  Also, making out at a movie theater is super gross for the people near you, so please don't.

Best Snack

Winner: Popcorn-how can you go wrong here?  Unless I am about to do a weigh-in at the gym, am feeling broke, or am skipping concessions because I'm running late, popcorn is a must-have at the movies, and as a result I know the best popcorn places, the ones that let you control your butter intake, and most importantly, the sizes (medium means so many things to so many different people).  Popcorn at the movies is iconic for a reason.
Runner-Up: I almost never go with anything other than popcorn, but if I missed dinner and am starving and decide to go onto the ridiculously expensive food side of the menu, I'm all about the AMC Chicken Fingers, which are delicious, just crazy enough for the movies, and will inevitably give your companions the food envy.  Though balancing them is a bit of a challenge so I usually finish them before the film starts.
Absolutely Not: Movie theater pizza is usually either boiling hot or completely dry, it's always pepperoni (this isn't a knock, but I like some variety in my pies), and one slice costs a fortune.  Go to the Sbarro afterwards if you really feel the need for such a recipe.

Best Beverage

Winner: Water.  Honestly-why do you need soda or something sugar-y with your salty popcorn and candy combo?  Also, I don't get how people don't want something cleansing after that food.  A jeer within this cheer, to paraphrase TV Guide, though: I LOATHE when movie theaters don't have a recycle bin for the bottled water, and personally I pointedly refuse to throw the bottles away when a recyclables container isn't available.  This is why my car at any given time has 6-8 water bottles rolling around the backseat.
Runner-Up: Wine.  If I'm out with friends, coming from a dinner, and not planning on doing concessions other than a beverage, wine is a really strong and fun choice.  It really needs to pair well with the movie, though (I plan on drinking before the inevitably hilarious Fifty Shades of Grey, for example, or Magic Mike XXL).
Absolutely Not: One of the great mysteries of my life is who precisely is getting Powerade at the movies.  We always see it as an option, but I never actually see these people drinking it.  And if so, why?  Unless AMC has a stealth gym that I am unaware of, this is unacceptable.

Best Seats

Winner: Okay, we're getting a little anal here, but I love my movies and you all know what I'm going to say, so let's have it-the center section, where it's elevated, where you can put your feet up on the metal bar.  I came late to Inherent Vice yesterday (we'll get a review out tomorrow), and was certain I'd be stuck in an awful section of the theater, and like a hallelujah chorus this spot was still open.  This is my go-to spot at the theater.
Runner-Up: I actually really enjoy sitting in the side seats, the ones where only four can sit there and not connected to the main set of seats, as you usually get a spot for your coat and popcorn, which is always a win.
Absolutely Not: I know that everyone will say the front of the theater and that's truly awful, but for me what's worse is the very back of the theater.  There are people who swear by this, but in my experience the further back you get the more likely that you have a whisperer in your midst, and that's just evil for me.  Which brings us to...

Biggest Pet Peeve

Winner: Talking, texting, or whispering (and yes, we can ALL hear you).  I am a little bit leery about when the silence should start (I'm kind of okay with a little murmur to your seat partner of "let's go to that" during the ends of trailers), but once the production screens have started, that's it.  Turn off your cell, don't text, don't whisper, and don't talk.  And yes, I'm the person who is giving you a dirty look and potentially telling you to be quiet, because I just spent money to be here too.  So zip it or go in the hall.  DVD's were invented for a reason.
Runner-Up: Don't ask single people to move in the theater.  There's nothing more obnoxious than asking someone to move because you got there late and you want to sit with your group of friends.  Unless you are A) with a child or B) need access to the wheelchair seats (in which case go for it), you should have gotten there on time.  I like the seat I picked and you're both adults-if you wanted to sit together, you should have planned ahead better.
Absolutely Not: I'm totally fine, quite frankly, with people applauding at the ends of movies (which some people find annoying), and actually kind of like it.

Best Day/Time to Go to the Movies

Winner: Thursday evening.  It's like starting your weekend early-you go in, and you watch a movie, and it's like you've already crossed something off your to do list and Friday/5:00 hasn't even happened!  In all honesty weekday movies, if you can swing it, are generally bliss (what a great way to check out for a few hours), but Thursday in particular is my favorite.
Runner-Up: The last show of the day (9:00-11:00) on a Saturday.  The reason for this is because it's usually packed, but packed with adults so it's quiet (and I actually quite enjoy a full theater-there's an undeniable energy that is lacking with only 15 people in the seats).  Plus, these are people that are genuinely excited for the film-they're giving up their "fun night" not to go drinking, dancing, or whatever floats your boat, but to go to a movie theater.  And them's my peeps.
Absolutely Not: Sunday night.  Sunday's are meant for recuperating from the weekend, prepping for your return to the 9-5, and frantically doing chores you didn't do all weekend.  It is not meant for a trip to the cinema.

And those are my thoughts on the movies!  What other topics should I discuss!  What other GTKY's would you like me to do?  And most important, what are your answers to these categories?!?  Share in the comments!

No comments: