Saturday, March 29, 2014

Everybody's Linking for the Weekend

I had the best Friday night ever last night, so I cannot even say I deserve a weekend right now, as mine was already sublime.  However, maybe you deserve a weekend break, so let's all take one!

In Entertainment...

Jorge Garcia, Yunjin Kim, Ian Somerhalder, and Maggie Grace
Entertainment Weekly: Since the 10-year reunion of Lost happened at PaleyFest this past week, Entertainment Weekly had the cast describe the show and memories from it.  I am the ultimate Lost fanboy (I still don't get how a network television show had a program this smart and epic, but I wish they'd do it more often), and so seeing Josh Holloway, Jorge Garcia, Yunjin Kim, and the rest of the gang describing the show is my idea of heaven.

In what amounted to one of the more interesting internet debates of the past week, Matt Zoller Seitz over at RogerEbert discussed that film critics should talk more about the art of filmmaking within their reviews (something I agree with, and probably don't do as often as I should, so I will be making note to do so in the future).  IndieWire then posted a response where they discussed filmmaking entirely, particularly focusing on a list of the best long takes in movies.  It includes one movie we'll soon be discussing and it also has Touch of Evil WAY too low (though it's hard arguing with that Number One).

IndieWire: The Playlist was just on fire this week, it seems, and in honor of the release of Jodorowsky's Dune, they put together a list of the greatest films never made.  Honestly, you have to go over and check it out, and then start building some sort of Watcher-esque vision machine so we can watch all of these films.

In Politics...


Vice President Joe Biden
Politico: Jonathan Soros has recently done something about as noble as you can do with a PAC-funding a PAC to end all other PAC's.  It's nice to see people who are frequently saying "I'm trying to find a way to fix the system by playing the game" who actually are walking the walk.  Here's to hoping he's successful.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Scott Walker recently vetoed part of a bill that would ban early voting in Wisconsin, though he did notably leave the exception to the Saturday voting ban.  Here's what I don't get about this-how can any average voter be against this sort of move?  I get why some politicians (exclusively Republicans in this case) are against it because it allows more people who don't normally vote (typically Democratic constituencies such as lower-income voters, older voters, and college students) more flexibility to get to the polls, but as a society we are constantly demanding more convenience (I carry the internet around in my pocket and thanks to DVR I can watch my television shows whenever I feel like it), and yet this particular aspect we don't want it?  I don't buy it, and I think if people actually paid attention the Republicans would just suck it up and not ban Saturday-voting.

New York Times: A recently discovered dwarf planet at the edge of the solar system has been discovered, and its nickname is Biden, after the Vice President.  While those discovering the planet are still debating what to officially call it, can we just go with the man himself?  I mean, who doesn't love Joe?

Just One More...

You have to check out this cheeky and clever video from Smosh where they manage to punk both one of their friends and his celebrity dream girl, Emma Watson:

No comments: