Saturday, March 22, 2014

Everybody's Linking for the Weekend

We haven't done one of these in a while, and I'm now bound to my chair for the remainder of the day, writing blog posts (we will have more than three this week, I can guarantee it), so here goes with a link roundup to start things out!

In Entertainment...


Meryl Streep in The Giver
Buzzfeed: My friend David told me that this theory has been around for a while, but it's new to me, so it could be new to you so I figured I'd share.  I don't want to ruin it by summarizing it, so just click over if you've seen Frozen, Tangled, and The Little Mermaid (and don't pretend you haven't).

IndieWire: While I don't like the slam on American Dad at the end of the article (I argue that most of its seasons have equalled Family Guy, but pop culture hierarchy means that no one will ever agree with me), I do largely agree with this article regarding Bob's Burgers.  If you're not watching this show, you're missing out on one of the funniest, best shows on television-like early Simpsons episodes good.  It's definitely worth a perusal.

Broadway World: Settling the feud that theater and awards junkies have been stewing about for weeks (or maybe it was just me), Idina Menzel publicly accepted John Travolta's apology and says they are friends now.  Anyone out there seen her new musical?  Is it worth me flying all the way to New York (I am SO tempted)?

Hollywood Reporter: Chris Martin will serve as advisor on The Voice.  Is anyone else SO pumped by the Ghost Moves album?  Coldplay is one of my favorite acts in music of the past decade, and between them and Adele both coming out with new albums this year, the only way I could have a more lyrical 2014 is if the Dixie Chicks transformed that European tour into finally bringing up a follow-up to The Long Way Around (if this happens, the squeal you will be able to hear from me will be audible for a 300-mile radius).

Film Experience: Nathaniel shared almost all of my thoughts on the new Giver trailer, which I echo almost verbatim.  I do feel that he's being a bit unfair to the source material (which is a terrific book, and hardly interchangeable with every other dystopian novel out there), but the directors seem to want to group it with every dystopian novel out there, so he should be forgiven.  Seriously-there are such great cinematic elements in this film (black-and-white, then the transformation to color), why not take advantage of them?  Also, and while Taylor Swift and I have made our peace musically, the jury is still out on her ability as an actress.

In Politics...


Sen. Mark Begich (D-AK)
Yahoo News: This was one of my favorite and most insightful articles of the week, profiling the ways that the Koch Brothers (whom Harry Reid curses every night before he goes to sleep) are so much more successful than Democratic mega-donors in spending their money.  It's a must read for any Democrat wanting to make a difference, because at the end of the day the Koch Brothers know the importance of each individual congressional seat to control of Congress.

Politico: Madeline Albright has blunt words regarding Vladimir Putin (calling him a new czar) and the American attention span (while the Flight 370 story is utterly fascinating, it does say something that CNN refuses to take it off the front page of its website when the issues in the Ukraine have more of a real-world impact on the international populace).

Roll Call: It says a lot when a political ad can make you genuinely cry, but Sen. Mark Begich's ad does just that in what is easily the best political commercial I have seen this cycle.  It's also politically smart, as Begich's chief rival on the Republican side is originally from Ohio, so it makes his arguments about Begich being "too Washington" sound less genuine.  Considering the amount of second generation politicians the Democrats are trying to run this year (in addition to Begich, there's Mary Landrieu, Mark Pryor, Michelle Nunn, and Erin Bilbray all spring to mind, and there are surely others), this is a great blueprint national Democrats should look into utilizing.

ABC News: Marriage licenses have started to be issued in Michigan after the gay marriage ban in the state has been declared unconstitutional.  Since the ruling has not been stayed, gay couples can begin getting married immediately (unlike in Utah, Oklahoma, Virginia, Kentucky, and Texas, where appeals are pending).  For those keeping count at home, I believe we are now up to eighteen states that allow gay marriage, though it's still worth noting that no McCain/Romney state has actually legalized gay marriage.  Also, only Colorado, Nevada, Florida, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin remain of the states that went for President Obama twice and haven't legalized gay marriage.  32 to go...

Just One More...

Journalistic Skepticism: After a long absence, Luke from Journalistic Skepticism (you may remember he did a guest article last year) is back, so go and check out his blog!

No comments: