Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Review: Playing the Screenwriter

(Spoiler Alert: This article has mad spoilers about the films World War Z, Philomena, Gravity, Man of Steel, and Prisoners-proceed at your own risk)

We've started a review of 2013 that will continue for a few more weeks sporadically, but I have been toying with doing something a little bit self-interested with five films from the past year.  Frequently, when I'm reviewing a film, I find myself thinking of what I would have done differently, and unfairly will even chat about that hypothetical movie.  This is unfair in the context of a review, of course, because just because I think something could have gone one way doesn't mean that I am right, and I'm postulating on something that doesn't exist and comparing it to something that does (it always works better in your head).

But this article isn't a review-it's just me chatting, and so after looking through a list of films I saw this year, I thought I'd highlight the films that I would most want to at least have had the option of seeing changed.  All of these movies are not created equally, it should be noted: they run from films that I thought were magnificent (Gravity) to films I enjoyed (World War Z) to films that had elements I liked but thought the film should have been re-thought (Man of Steel, Philomena, and Prisoners).  Each of these films have promise though, but made a key decision that I think should have been reconsidered or re-investigated.  I've listed below what I think should have happened and how I think this would have improved the movie.  Again, I get all spoiler-y up in this joint, so proceed at your own risk.

World War Z
The Plot Problem: The "sick people" are immune to the zombies twist is something you can see a mile away, and makes it far too easy to combat the zombies.
The Fix: I've really researched the original plot of the film.  I mean, not enough to read the book (let's not be ridiculous!), but enough to read plot descriptions on Wikipedia and IMDB, and I actually quite like the darker direction the film took with the movie.  I know that I'm frequently accused (by my brother) of always wanting the darker ending, but it's because with many films (particularly big budget action films) we never get to see that direction.  Look at how good Children of Men, a film in a similar vein if not quite in the same quality level as World War Z, was because it gave only the basest of hopes in the final scenes.  You don't have to abandon things completely, but the film basically could have had "the sun will come out, tomorrow" playing over the final credits.  Instead, why not go with the original proposed ending-with Pitt's Gerry joining the Russian army and the zombies not being able to handle the cold.  It makes hope still a part of the equation, but gives us a far rougher and more difficult pill to swallow with humanity in a constant, almost losing fight.  It keeps the door opened for a sequel, but more importantly it makes the first film that much more complete.

Philomena
The Plot Problem: As I touched on earlier today, the film has such tonal issues with its comedy and drama debate and frequently pulls back when it should go forward.
The Fix: This is fairly easy: make the film a straight-up drama to start with, and make Steve Coogan's character truly supporting.  The film is most successful when it's inside Dench's head, and the comedic bits are only funny because Dench can sell that sort of thing.  Instead, have it be about Dench's wrestling with her faith and focus more on their pursuit to see Michael's lover.  Also, give the audience some reason why Peter, the boyfriend of her dead son, won't talk to her about their relationship, and end the film with her at her son's grave, wondering what might have been.

Gravity
The Plot Problem: Of the five, this is the one that I would want to see first before I signed up for the ending (don't you occasionally wish your life could be like Clue and you could alternate the endings of a film based on your mood or what options are in front of you?).  The reason for this is that I don't know if this ending would work-it certainly wouldn't have been the blockbuster it was with this ending, after all.  However, my slight plot question mark (not a problem) is what would have happened if Bullock's Ryan Stone hadn't made it back to the planet.
The Fix: Does the film improve if you end the film with Stone, after receiving the call from the earth, trying and failing, but still attempting to reach the planet?  Honestly, I'm not sure, but it's something I'd like to see just to get a flavor for it.  Does having the main character left with basically no hope but still enough oxygen to live for a few hours/days become such a downer that it takes away from the uplift of the film?  The audience is still left with the minute possibility that she finds a way back, but we don't know for sure.  It's something worth exploring.

Man of Steel
The Plot Problem: A young man has few friends, is picked on for being different, is a bit of a loner, his most significant relationships are with his mother and a female friend, has a complicated issue with hiding his true self from his father, and compensates by spending all of his time becoming a near perfect physical specimen at the gym.  You know where I'm headed here...
The Fix: Make Superman gay.  Honestly-Superman is clearly intended to be a gay man.  The only superhero film that I saw a more belabored metaphor for homosexuality was X-Men 3 and the Angel character, but here Zack Snyder (who, if the rumors are to be true, oddly didn't cast Matt Bomer because he was gay) takes every opportunity to push Henry Cavill in the gay direction.  I know that everyone always makes the Batman and Robin jokes, but Superman, with his different since birth story and his fighting for acceptance is the best metaphor for growing up as a gay man.  His relationship with Lois in this film is far more Will and Grace than romantic.  I'm not even saying this out of hormones (though I won't say that thought didn't cross my mind), but at what point is a major studio going to take a chance and have a gay main character to a franchise.  Edward Cullen, Katniss Everdeen, Clark Kent-we all know that you might be one of us.  Give it a shot and see how it goes.

Prisoners
The Plot Problem: I did in fact complain about this in my review, but I had to go here again.  Prisoners is the movie that I find myself constantly questioning and rethinking (it's the reason I wrote this article in the first place) because I think it could have been really remarkable with a few alterations, and I want to change one key aspect of the film: Paul Dano's guilt-by-association in the movie.
The Fix: I know that I've gone to dark places with all of these plots, and I'm not even asking that we get a completely dark ending for the girls in this film (it works just as well if they live for the plot).  I just don't want the torture to be so easily condoned in the film.  Villeneuve is someone who knows how to go to terrifying places with his movies (Incendies is worth checking out, people!), so why not just alter the script enough to make David Destmalchian's character the kidnapper?  The film essentially lets Jackman's Keller off-the-hook for his brutal beating of Paul Dano's character when he gets information from the torture.  Even though the film doesn't exactly condone what he did, it basically does by going with an "ends justify the means" argument.  Where the film goes in the final third, then, with Dano locked up and Jackman's Keller having to decide what to do with his future (does he kill him and live happily ever after or does he admit his guilt and never see his daughter again?) is a great closing act.  The only caveat of this is that we wouldn't see that terrific final growl from Melissa Leo, but I think that would be worth it to save the film.

Those are five films I would want to "fix" from the year-what about you?  What films do you wish you could alter, and how would you do so?  Share in the comments!

No comments: