Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top 10 Women Who Should Join Twitter


While I was doing my daily check-in with all things social media yesterday (anyone else find Pinterest particularly slow?), I was thinking about the people who I wish were on Twitter, but are not.  I started to make a list for a post, in fact, and ended up with six women listed before I got to a guy, and so I figured I’d make this post gender-specific.  Here are the ten women I wish were on Twitter but aren’t:

10. Catherine Deneuve

The gorgeous, icy French actress recently turned seventy (Happy birthday!) and is an icon of French cinema.  She’s worked with Roman Polanski, Luis Bunuel, Francois Truffaut, Jacque Demy, and Lars von Trier-you know those five combined have some epic stories she could start sending out (seriously-has this woman written a memoir?)  She’s also very politically active and is a fashion icon.  Who wouldn’t want to follow her?

9. Sofia Coppola

I promise this list won’t be made up entirely of enigmatic, fashionable women (okay, I don’t promise that at all-if I was straight I’d clearly end up turning into Fred MacMurray in Double Indemnity, brought down by my own personal Barbara Stanwyck).  Coppola regularly finds herself making interesting movies and gallivanting around the world to film festivals and New York and Italy.  For the record, I also think that all of these people should be on Instagram in addition to Twitter.

8. Jacki Weaver

Have you ever seen Jacki Weaver, the deliciously talented woman who won our 2010 OVP Award, in an interview or a speech?  She’s an utter delight-regularly talking about her ex-husbands/lovers and her experiences with directors and her love of acting.  Throw in some recent Senate polling numbers and that’s basically all my Twitter feed is.  Melissa Leo is there Jacki-sign yourself up!

7. Patti LuPone

LuPone is the grand dame of Broadway-every young actress on Broadway wants to be her (and, let’s face it, so do a lot of young actors).  LuPone, though, has something vital to being a great presence on Twitter-she has opinions.  Lots and lots of opinions-she takes great stances about audience etiquette on Broadway (a worthy topic) and wrote a deeply juicy memoir a few years back that would translate well to the occasional shade-throwing tweet.

6. Meryl Streep

In my heart, of course, Meryl is always first place, but that would be too expected so I'll keep her in sixth.  Meryl is funny, elegant, charming, and always nails every interview that she’s ever done.  Plus, she’s worked with every single person in Hollywood, so you know she’d be having great back-and-forths with Jane Fonda or Leo DiCaprio on Twitter.  Come, join the party Meryl!

5. Lauren Bacall

For a while there, there was a rather popular fake Bacall Twitter feed where the Oscar-winning actress slammed Twilight and made up saucy stories about her fellow Golden Age stars.  Wouldn’t it be a hoot to have the frank and delicious real thing on Twitter, telling us what it was like to go to the Brown Derby with Vivien Leigh and Joan Crawford?

4. Pippa Middleton

I know the rest of the world might be “over” her (she’s not even a godparent, sad face), but I cannot get enough.  My day is instantly brightened with some sort of Pippa news and I am waiting to see when she’s engaged.  Plus, this is the closest I’m going to ever get to Kate joining, and you know that Pippa would snap a few candids with nephew George!

3. Tilda Swinton

Doesn’t it feel like Tilda Swinton, who is so intensely quotable and always popping up in some avant garde conversation, is already on Twitter?  It does, but she isn’t, and it needs to be rectified.  The Oscar-winning actress is a fountain of great opinions, is constantly working on interesting projects and with hip artists, and is a fashion icon.  Who doesn’t want to see what Tilda wears on laundry day, or if Tilda Swinton has a laundry day?

2. Jennifer Lawrence

Lawrence has famously taken a stance against Twitter, but we all weren’t going to join Twitter until we did, so it’s just a matter of time Jen.  More than any other actor of her generation, Lawrence isn’t afraid to go there with a naughty story or a saucy aside.  Twitter was born for Jennifer Lawrence to join-let’s get a behind-the-scenes look-pretty please Katniss!

1. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler

Only an idiot would need me to explain why this is something we all need more than oxygen and water.

Those are my ten (err…eleven)-what are yours?  Which famous ladies (or gents) would you like to see on Twitter?

No comments: