Monday, May 27, 2013

OVP: Previously, in 2012

2012: A Look Back
So, as I mentioned yesterday, I have completed all of the Oscar-nominated films of 2012, and we are now in store for our third round of the Oscar Viewing Project.  If you're new to the site, just click on the Official OVP Ballot tag below and you can see any of the past year's write-ups.

In order for us to get a little more acclimated to 2012, let's remember where we were just a few months ago when the year ended.  Politically, Republicans were adamantly telling us that Mitt Romney would be several months into his presidency by now (that didn't happen).  Worldwide, we were finding out that Kate Middleton was pregnant, and mourning the losses of both Whitney Houston and Neil Armstrong.  And of course, we were watching movies...

Box Office

This is what the Top 10 at the (Domestic) Box Office looked like:

1. Marvel's The Avengers
3. The Hunger Games
8. Brave
9. Ted
10. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Like most recent years, we're treated to a combination of animated features and franchise/sequel pictures (thank goodness for Ted, though I have a suspicion we could see him return at some point in the future).  Bubbling underneath this top ten is more of the same, as The Lorax, Wreck-It Ralph, and MIB 3 were just misses.  It's worth noting, however, that the Best Picture lineup was chock full of hits, as six Best Pics cleared $100 million, and Lincoln (an enormous historical epic!) came close to $200 million.

The Films I Missed
I've hit all of the Oscar nominees, of course, but missed a few other films, which is important to note as I'll be complaining about what films didn't make it in on occasion and I want to be forthcoming on why I might not be mentioning your favorite snubbed films.  Of the Box Office Top Ten, my most glaring miss was Madagascar 3 (the only film I didn't see on that list), though I also didn't go to The Lorax, Ice Age: Continental Drift, and Hotel Transylvania amongst the year's biggest movies (clearly I need to watch more animation).  I hit the Palme d'Or winner from Cannes, but missed both the Grand Prix (Reality, which never had a proper American release), and the Best Screenplay winner (Beyond the Hills, which did get a proper American release but I never made it out to see it).  As the Globes heavily predict the Oscars, I largely saw most of their nominees, but did miss Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Arbitrage, Quartet, Hyde Park on Hudson, Rise of the Guardians, and The Intouchables.  At some point I'll be seeing Quartet for sure, but if I should be checking out one of these other movies, please let me know in the comments.

And there you have it-a brief preview of 2012.  Now onto Oscar!

No comments: