Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Olympic Image(s) of the Day: Day 5

  

First off, to prove that yes, I'm aware there are more than just American Olympians, I love this picture of Chad Le Clos of South Africa, enjoying a surprise win at the 200 m butterfly (and a huge win-that was a great race).


For the first time in history, a mother was able to give a medal to her daughter.  Of course, the mother and daughter are quite recognizable.  The mother is Princess Anne, the Princess Royal of Great Britain, and a former Olympian herself in equestrian.  Her daughter, Zara Phillips, won a silver medal in the Team Eventing Equestrian competition.  Being a huge fan of the Royals and their mystic, I couldn't pass up including this photo.


I was, well, I'm a little leery to say how old I was, but let's just say I wasn't yet a teenager, when Jaycie, Amy, Dominique D, Dominique M, Amanda, Shannon, and of course Kerri took home the gold medal in Atlanta and left a country and a generation awe-inspired that anything was possible.  Today, (from left) Jordyn Wieber, Gabrielle Douglas, McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman, and Kyla Ross have done the same thing.  Well done ladies!



And, for me, he is the Olympics.  As a swimmer, and roughly the same age as Michael Phelps, he's hands-down my favorite Olympian.  Whether it was a talent crush or an actual crush (in reality quite a bit of both), I have watched him since his first Olympics, and was crying quite a bit when I saw him take medal number 19.  You rock Mike!

No comments: