Friday, April 21, 2006

78. Robert de Niro (The Godfather, Part II)


78. When amassing a list like this, you start out with hundreds of performances, and slowly but steadily you narrow it down to 100. In this winnowing process, a lot of things become just as important as the acting itself: how beloved the films are, how likeable/memorable the characters are, and of course, the person's career. Many of my favorite actors show up on this list not only out of my sheer love of that role, but of their career themselves (with one notable exception-one of my all time faves will not show up on this list, whom I will point out at the end of the countdown).

Therefore, I give you your chance to ogle the master thespian Bobby de Niro (never Robert-we're on a nickname basis). While I'm personally more of a Pacino man, there's no denying that Bobby has a sense of actorly minimalism that few others in his craft possess. Look at him as Don Vito Corleone, in the monumental Godfather, Part II. Look at how he jumps from rooftops, or how he grows into the character we know and love. Few actors, if any can so readily possess the character they are playing. His face is iconic, his roles (at least those before Cape Fear) are legend. Brando may have created the mold here, but it was de Niro who brought it to life.

OK, I'm going to recommend that you enjoy the entire nine hour Godfather trilogy, complete with spaghetti and a lone cornet playing in the background. Just make sure that the horses are locked up nice and tight.

1 comment:

Glenn Dunks said...

I watched the Godfather trilogy in the span of a few days and loved them all. Of the performances, I think Robert's was my favourite, then Marlon and then Al and then James Caan.

I love lists (I do MANY at my blog) and was considering doing a greatest performances of all time list in the near future - i just need to see more movies first.

:)