Saturday, April 22, 2006

77. Diane Keaton (Something's Gotta Give)

77. If I was being totally honest with myself, I would have every role I've ever seen Diane Keaton in on this list. There is no other actress I surround myself so freely with. Every new movie is a treasure, every performance an anticipation. Picking just one favorite is like picking a favorite Ben & Jerry's flavor-they're all so delicious.

Unfortunately, for those keeping track, Diane won't make this list with every performance. However, her charming turn as Erica Barry perches quite divinely at Number 77. This role seems to epitomize all that is right with the affable Diane-it's quirky, sweet, incredibly endearing, and ripe with intelligent observation. The scenes with Jack are bustling with a sort of sexuality few movies can seem to crackle with today (where have you gone, Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant?). The crying jags both send tears from the ducts and laughs from the gut. My personal favorite though, and one of my favorite romantic sudser lines, is when she goes, "Do you know, I’ve written this, but I’ve never got it. You know what this is? This, this is heartbroken. How’s that for impervious? I just wish it had lasted more than a week." Love was never so truly spoken. And with Diane highlighting the beats of the heart, it was never so truly acted.

In making a Diane Keaton film festival, one must decide to go for the lighter or darker side of her filmography. Since it's good to be consistent, I insist that you start out with an afternoon of frothy fun in the form of The First Wives Club, then follow up with this treasure, and finally sink back with the delightful romp of Annie Hall.

No comments: