Sunday, June 25, 2017

Top Ten Favorite Divas

The Tony Awards are now in the rearview mirror, but I'm still pining for the Great White Way.  Growing up, I was fascinated by the stage, something that grew when I actually was able to see a Broadway performance for the first time, but alas this year it isn't in the cards for me to catch the boards.  As I am teeming with jealousy over people who get to see the big shows right now, I figured I'd do a Broadway-related article to calm my nerves.

I can't believe in all of the years I've been doing this blog (and finding new excuses to make lists) that I haven't done this before, but I have never done a list of my top ten favorite Broadway actresses (or, as the title suggests, divas).  Broadway is one of those places where women reign supreme, so while I could attempt one of these with men, I doubt even my top guy could bust through this list.  As a result, bask in the female empowerment of this lineup, my top ten Broadway Divas (in ranked order), as well as my favorite of their vocal performances (that I could find on YouTube):



10. Donna Murphy




9. Betty Buckley



8. Liza Minnelli

(picking a clip from Cabaret felt like cheating as she only did that cinematically, but of course-hot damn)



7. Barbara Cook



6. Angela Lansbury



5. Kristin Chenoweth



4. Laura Benanti



3. Chita Rivera




2. Patti LuPone



1. Audra McDonald

No comments: