Saturday, May 02, 2015

Everybody's Linking for the Weekend

Anyone else just have a ridiculously long week?  I sure did-that took forever to get done!  Let's take a look at some of the stories we haven't discussed yet on the blog that have been making headlines!

On Entertainment...

-It's of course Avengers weekend (I won't be reviewing this weekend-I'm saving my watch of the film for a Mother's Day present so I will be behind the collective internet on this one), and as a result everyone's ranking the Marvel movies, including IndieWire.  I will fully admit that I haven't loved all of the movies in the series, but they got the top film right of the ones I have seen (still haven't caught Thor 2 and obviously Avengers 2).

-Oscar winner Morgan Freeman gained a lot of headlines this past week for his comment "F&#^ the media" in regard to the protests in Baltimore.  While I don't condone violence, I do kind of see his point.  The media wasn't remotely covering this story in nearly as much depth when it was simply Freddie Gray's death, but they sure as hell do when a CVS is on fire.  Every time I watch this sort of media coverage, I am reminded of Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing and the reaction its ending (I won't spoil it, but you must see this movie if you haven't) got from white versus black audiences.

-Darren Criss broke the internet with his saucy photos from the Hedwig premiere, where he spends a good deal rocking glam makeup and sporting not much more than a black speedo.  If you didn't already know this, however, you should probably be following my Tumblr, which has devolved from random photos of my life to random men I find attractive, admittedly, but you get some substance on the blog and some fluffiness at the Tumblr-it seems only appropriate to have balance in life.

-Michelle Pfeiffer may or may not be in the next American Horror Story-I can't really tell.  While Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates, and Lady Gaga all got huge headlines when they were announced for the cast, it seems like Pfeiffer's announcement has been shoveled under the rug.  I don't know if this is because she'll just be in one episode or because it hasn't been substantiated.  Either way, you'd think that a 3-time Oscar nominee who was one of the biggest actresses of the 1990's would get more of a media scurry for a return to television, especially if this is a regular role of some sort.

On Politics...


Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
-This past week saw Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) enter the Democratic primary for president, giving Sec. Hillary Clinton her first reputable challenger for the nomination (what?, I've seen his hair, but he is a two-term U.S. senator).  Honestly-my biggest problem with Sanders might be the fact that he's still an independent.  I get that the country has a supposed anathema to the two-party system and Bernie running as a third party candidate would be probably the worst thing in the world for the Democrats, but shouldn't he suck-it-up and become a proper Democrat if he wants our nomination?  Other than that, this is nothing but good news for Hillary, who probably avoids Elizabeth Warren (who might actually beat her), but ensures that Democratic issues and her race continue to make headlines.  This is why she tweeted Sanders earlier this week, which you can bet she wouldn't have been so cordial if Warren had gotten into the race.

-Gov. Chris Christie's year just continues to get worse and worse.  The New Jersey governor whom I feel is going to turn down a presidential bid any day now had a former official at port authority (David Wildstein) plead guilty to conspiracy in the Fort Lee lane closure and had two aides (Bridget Kelly and Bill Baroni) get indicted on nine counts.  Perhaps most fascinating is that Wildstein's lawyer said that Christie knew about the lane closures and he has evidence of such.  While this isn't proof, if it is Christie would probably have to resign at this point considering the depths of scandal he's put himself in as a result of saying he had no knowledge of what occurred.  Either way, I cannot see a fathomable way he recovers from this and his severely weakened stance in the presidential race-it's pretty obvious that Rubio, Walker, and Bush have all moved on from him and are going after each other.

-The Daily Mail takes a look at why the new Princess of Cambridge (it's a girl!!!!) is going to be Prince George's best friend.  The new young "spare heir" will be getting her own post in the next couple of days, as soon as the family announces the name, but I figured I would share this link in the meantime as I have royal fever!

-If you're into statistics and rankings, this link may just eat up your weekend-it's a mathematical look at which states are "the best."  My native Minnesota usually does well in these contests, and this is definitely true here (Mississippi, not so much).

Shameless Self-Promotion of the Week...

-Scott Hoying and I are going to be very happy together.

YouTube Video of the Week...

-Shane Dawson meeting his queen Hilary Duff is wonderful-I love his epic ramble after meeting her:




Just One More...

-I get that they end the article with some pragmatic solutions to solve this problem and that promoting a healthier lifestyle is always a good thing, but seriously CNN?  "Sitting is the new smoking?"  This is why Jon Stewart constantly mocks you.

No comments: