Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Happy Earth Day!

With both Earth Day and Arbor Day this week, I figured it was quite appropriate to talk about the environment and where we are at politically with it.  I have talked before about how this issue is one of my most impassioned and principle concerns, and I figured there were a couple of different ways that I could talk about this issue.  I could either put a series of beautiful photos of the planet on this post, celebrating the marvel of the Earth as if this had turned into a Terrence Malick film (wouldn't that be marvelous?) or I could give a wish list of what I would love to see as a result of people not just celebrating the Earth one day or one week but year round.  Considering my occasionally rant-y politically-minded self, I'm thinking you know where this is headed.  Here is my wish list for this Earth Day:

1. Stop the Climate Change Denial

People who stand in the face of common facts and say, "the scientific community have all of the education and expertise, but somehow I'm still right," are the equivalent of a four-year-old standing in a schoolyard, covering his ears and screaming "I can't hear you, I'm not listening."  Climate change being universally accepted by experts in the field as both a major concern and largely driven by humans, it's not really an issue we can debate anymore.  People have the right to their opinion, of course, but this isn't a subject like abortion or gay marriage or the death penalty where moral ambiguity leaves room for an opinion.  You cannot dispute something that is a fact, and the sooner people realize that, the better.

2. Stop Being So Short-Sighted on Environmental Laws

You put public safety at the center of almost any project, and it is literally the first box that has to be checked-is this project safe for the public?  And yet, with things like fracking or the Keystone Pipeline or loosening clean-air regulations for big businesses to increase manufacturing, the concern is about jobs and the short-term rather than the long-term implications of what this will do to the public.  I am as sensitive as anyone to the impact of cutting jobs and how we need to make sure that people who lose their jobs in one field of energy-production have the opportunity to transfer their expertise into new fields, but the reality is that oil, coal, and natural gas are finite resources that we cannot consume at the same rate we are doing so, and we need to shift dramatically over to the use of solar, wind, and other renewable sources of energy renewal.  The faster we do this, the better off the entire planet will be.

3. Politicians Should Remember the Environment Year-Round

I have said it many times, but while I am quite proud about some of the achievements of the Obama administration (gay rights, the focus on women's rights, and, yes, the healthcare law all spring to mind), I have to say that my biggest disappointment has been in regard to the environment.  I don't understand why environmental issues have not been more popular on a national scale, and I get that politicians go where the votes are, but I wish that at least the safe, liberal congressmen in seats in the Senate and House would make more of an effort to bring light to environmental causes.  One of the main reasons that I support Brian Schatz for the Senate is that he is actually out on the road, championing environmental causes.  I wish that more primaries would shift their focus to this particular topic so that we could have a real conversation about the issue.

4. Make AMC Theatres Recycle!

I tweeted them this morning (trying to do my part), but this is one of my biggest pet peeves.  I almost always go to either an AMC or Landmark to see movies, and while Landmark is a consistent beacon of conservation (one of my theaters even started sorting out their compost), AMC theaters do not have any option to recycle, and it is so stupid, particularly since I am in a state where recycling is extremely easy. Water, juice, and sports drink bottles are on sale at AMC, and there's absolutely no reason why I should have to bring the plastic bottle into my car to recycle at home when the theater could make a nice step for the environment and start recycling.

5. Find Something New to Do

When Senator Gaylord Nelson (D-WI) created Earth Day in 1970, he hoped to use the momentum of the anti-war movement over Vietnam to address another vital concern of the day, the high rates of pollution in the environment.  Sen. Nelson's inspiration for this now global holiday should be remembered as we celebrate, and hopefully bring that celebration into the rest of the year.  Therefore, I'd recommend looking at your behavior and seeing 1-3 things that you could do to change your behavior.  If you want an easy way to do this, head over to this site and find some ideas.  I am going to make a concerted effort to shut down my computer at night both at work and at home and force myself to only shop with reusable bags.  What will you do?  Share in the comments!

And also, what are your favorite Earth-friendly tips/environmental pet peeves!  Share in the comments, and happy Earth Day!

No comments: