Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Glee: Makeover #4.3

I realize that I haven't finished our 2011 project yet, but don't worry-I'll be returning right after this short break.  However, I have to make sure that in advance of tomorrow night's episode, I get out the (very, very belated) Glee recap.

I haven't read any of the reviews, so I don't have a clue how the critics are reacting, but I have to say-this is the sort of episode of Glee that I love-filled with impending drama, the occasional number, plot lines moving forward but not at a psychotic pace.  Yes, implausibility turns it's ugly head, but that's just life at McKinley.

First off, can I just say that the second Blaine started to do narration, my heart leapt.  While Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch and Mike O'Malley may have had more "actorly" moments throughout the course of the show's run, my love of Darren Criss has gotten me through every insane plot twist since he first warbled his way into our hearts.  Seriously-the bowties (sorry Sam and Artie, I think they need to stay), the affinity to hair gel, the fact that he dressed as Robin in Superhero Club (confession time-I have been Robin for one Halloween, despite me being a Marvel comic fan through and through)-he's perfection.  And him wanting to get involved in every club while singing an 80's power ballad-intoxicated, party of me (I don't know why I'm talking like a 16-year-old girl...okay, I do-the Darren Criss crush makes me want to put up posters in my locker and draw hearts around his name).

All right, since I've just made a complete fool of myself, I might as well finish my Blaine train of thought-I loved the entirety of Blaine's story line.  In particular, his partnership with Sam (I know I joked last week about them dating, and while I am not standing in the way of that-hint hint, Ryan Murphy-them being friends is probably more plausible, even in the world of Glee).  Blaine never made a real connection with anyone in the club except Kurt, and I think he realized that at the end of the episode-everyone else really interacts and has story lines with multiple characters, but with Blaine, he was always there just when Kurt was there (or when Matt Bomer played his brother).  He's kind of right in the sense that he only is at McKinley for Kurt.  I'm really hoping this story line goes somewhere, because on a Ryan Murphy show, you never know (I'm telling you-love/hate with this show-runner who always pulls me in-I have both groaned and laughed hysterically at every single episode of The New Normal, and yes I am through the roof that it got a full season).  Blaine is one of the few truly unopened books at McKinley-we saw some of what he's capable of when he tried to sleep with Kurt in a parking lot and with his "not really innocent" flirting with Sebastian.  Next week's impending breakup is, just a hunch, Rachel and Finn, but part of me is hoping for Kurt and Blaine.  I love them as a couple, but I honestly think that they need to find out who they are with other people first.

I also have to say, speaking of finding out who they are with other people, I'm a big fan of the Rachel and Brody (after my comments about Marley last week, I need to admit I had to look up that name as well, and for the record searching for "hot new guy on Glee" totally got me the answer-thanks Google! Rachel and Finn (again, a couple I've always been behind) have been out of the picture for a few episodes, and for the first time this episode, I realized something.  Rachel (who looked sensational with those smoky eyes) could find a more appropriate guy.  Sure, the Finn/Rachel story line is so romantic, and I think it would be wrong if the series ended with them separated, but honestly, Brody seems like a better fit for Rachel's ambition and talent.  Finn's a sweet guy, Brody's a guy who will get her places.

There were a lot more story lines this week, but I don't have time for all of them (it is getting late, and I'd like to at least get started on our next category before bed), so I'm going to pick only two more (sorry Sam/Brit-best luck next week!).  One, the fun of Sarah Jessica Parker on Glee.  While Kurt's interview process was ludicrous (only in a TV show would getting an internship at one of the world's most prestigious magazines be this easy), the thing that matters is that we're going to see Kurt challenged and put to the test.  I don't read casting scoops and spoilers, so I don't know how many episodes SJP has signed on for, but I'm hoping it's a while, because a celebrated Kurt would be a welcome change after years of the bullied Kurt plots.  Also, I think that SJP's character (whose name I will learn by next week, I swear) set up a great precipice for Kurt-which dreams are you going to pursue, because it's impossible to have them all?  It's a real life lesson you learn throughout your twenties, and as Kurt is about to enter them, it'll be interesting to see if he abandons music for fashion, and what that choice will cost him.

Lastly, I want to focus on what I think may have been the first hint at Season 5-the Will story.  The reality is that at some point, Ryan Murphy needs to make a decision with this show-people are invested in the stories of the original Gleekers (Kurt, Rachel, Finn), and have come to love some of the new ones (Sam, Brittany, Blaine), but a show cannot sustain 10-12 continuing plots.  This isn't Days of Our Lives.  I'm starting to wonder if the way they solve that problem is, dare I say it, cutting the actual glee club?  I know that sounds a bit silly, and in a few weeks, I'll probably see how wrong I am, but with Sam/Blaine/Tina/Brittany/Artie all graduating, and Will potentially headed to Washington for his music committee (or wherever-Will stories bore me and are not really vital to the show-he's the Dawson to everyone else's Jack-and-Jen), it'd be the perfect cut-and-run.  Jayma Mays character could move with him, and the only dangling question mark would be Jane Lynch, who I have this sneaking suspicion is itching to get out of her contract and resort to the "beloved guest star" role, considering her outside-Glee success of late.  It's a wild theory, but I think it may work-a show that alternates between New York, Los Angeles, and Washington?  That can still incorporate random musical numbers?!?  Could be interesting.

And now, what are your thoughts?  Did you love the changes for Rachel, Kurt, and Blaine?  Or were you more drawn to the budding romance between Sam and Brittany?  And would you be on-board with a Glee without our Lima home base?

No comments: