Friday, September 14, 2012

Glee: The New Rachel (#4.1)

All right, I'm just going to admit it, I'm super-psyched about the return of Glee.  Like many of you, I'll confess that there have been times in the past few years that I've doubted (I barely made it through that boring episode with Ricky Martin), but I'm hooked.  Like Desperate Housewives, which I stuck with devotedly for eight seasons, I've become so invested in these characters that I want them to be a part of my weekly ritual, even if I sometimes find their motivations a bit inconsistent (to put it mildly) and if Ryan Murphy has decided that he wants to give me a lecture random weeks instead of entertainment.

That being said, I've been trying to think of which of my favorite shows on TV currently would make the most sense for a weekly recap of sorts, and Glee, with its hour-long format, dozens of characters, and constant highs-and-lows seems like the most appropriate, though I might give one or two another try (and I reserve the right to go back and take a stab at some of my past favorites like the aforementioned Wisteria Lane residents or, my all-time favorite show, Lost).

(THIS IS A TV RECAP-IF YOU KEEP READING AND WANTED TO AVOID SPOILERS, YOU SHOULD REALLY FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF MORE WITH THE INTERNET, OR THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD RECAP) This week, we are given a look at what the new show format is going to be, and I have to say, I was nervous.  How would Ryan Murphy, whom I have a love/hate relationship with as a viewer (though clearly he stills gets a lot of my time, as I'm counting the days until American Horror Story: Asylum hits and The New Normal is the first new show of the season to get a Season Pass on my TiVo)?  But, I gotta say, I liked it-the whole Rachel in New York thing seems like a fresh approach for a character that occasionally gets caught in a rut, and though you just know that eventually Kate Hudson (more to come) is going to love her, it's going to be fun to see Rachel have to work for it instead of just be the star.  I was even more on-board when I found out that Kurt would be joining her in NYC-here's to hoping that some more former New Directioners also make the leap to the Big Apple (I'm looking at you Finn, Santana, and just-one-Metro-North-railroad-ride-away Quinn).

The thing I liked best about the show, though, was that it actually addressed some outstanding issues from last season-for a show that oftentimes forgets where it left a lot of plotlines, it showed that Rachel is still pining for Finn (even though the "why-was-he-not-in-my-dorm-hall" ab-ulous Dean Geyer would make anyone take an extra look), it showed that Kurt is headed to NYC, it showed that some long-term relationships don't work (sorry Mike and Tina), and it introduced us to a format that will work for the show.  It's Glee, so some story lines were left out-who is the father of Sue's baby and where was (insert-your-favorite-character-here) being chief amongst them, but overall it seemed like a solid base to build the rest of the season upon.

My favorite scenes are nearly always around the perfect Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss is my celeb crush to beat all celeb crushes), and even Blaine got some props, finally sending his love Kurt on his way to NYC, and stating that the long-term relationship thing will work for them even though their friends Tina/Mike and Rachel/Finn seem to be having some issues with it.  I gotta say, though, and don't hate me Klaine worshippers (I've been rooting for it since the beginning), but I kind of think some dating of other people would do both of them some good.  They have already broken glass ceilings with their relationship so far, but wouldn't you like to see both of them get to know the gay world outside of just the Klaine universe?

And as for Ms. Katie Hudson (I always call her Katie Hudson-I don't know why, I think it's because she looks more like a Katie-I'll try to desist as she makes her way through the next few weeks), I also am liking it.  Though it's a questionable career move for an Oscar nominee and once tres bankable actress to take a recurring role on a mid-run TV dramedy, if it's good enough for Gwyneth, it's good enough for Kate.  And while her performance cannot compete with Gwyneth (who, in her first appearance, was simply the best Glee guest star the show ever put forward), she has a lot of potential, and I can't wait to see her as a "Broadway disaster" in next week's episode.

So, with that, I'll turn it over to you-what were your thoughts as we begin a fourth year at McKinley (does that also make us Seniors)?  Whom did you miss most (for me, it's most definitely Santana, but I can see the argument for Mercedes, Mike, Emma, Puck, Quinn, or Finn)?  What side of the "Jacob Puckerman is hot" debate did you fall on (I gotta go with Sugar and Unique on this one, though of the new guys, I'll call dibs on Brody and leave Jacob to one of you fine people)?  And what "new directions" do you hope the series takes this year?

No comments: