Thursday, August 30, 2012

The New Fall Season (and a Little Politics)

Yes, yes, I should be watching the RNC, but, as bipartisan as I try to be (when it comes to predicting elections, I'm about as even as you get), I just can't sit through hours and hours of Obama-bashing and Mitt Romney's incredibly awkward laugh and Paul Ryan's complete disregard for the truth.  I shall be truly fair and balanced starting with the debates again; tonight, I am fair and balanced the way FOX News is, except hanging a bit gauche.  If it makes you feel better, I watched Clint Eastwood up there, and though he was even-toned and had the likability that Mitt Romney can only dream of (and for some reason kept talking to a chair), it broke my heart a bit that such a wonderful filmmaker was out campaigning for two people I vehemently oppose, and so I just can't sit through the post-Clint section.  We all have friends we disagree with, even if in this case they're cinematic friends, and we all find a way to still love them.  I'm sure there are Republicans who secretly love Streisand or Sarandon or Damon or Penn or any of the other countless Hollywood liberals.  Again, one night diatribe-I shall be back to being as nonpartisan as any person can be tomorrow when it comes to election coverage.  And I'll always be cheering for Clint, even if I think he only deserves two of his four Oscars (for the record, the ones from the 90's).

So, instead, let's focus on some of the new fall television shows.  Fall is by far my favorite season, primarily because all of my favorite things come out to play-all of the Oscar-approved movies start hitting theaters (every day I feel like I'm adding a new one to my "To View" list), election season hits full swing (I promise, next week there will be convention recaps, and I shall stomach all four debates for you fine people), the leaves turn color and I get to pull out the blankets and go on brisk walks by the lake in my sweatshirt (I have the most comfortable Columbia University sweatshirt, and it is literally my favorite thing to wear-it's also a thousand degrees, so this global warming-induced August is not really conducive), and my television is crowded with loads of goodness.  Sure, there's lots of returning goodies (for me, the top of the list has to be seeing what American Horror Story: Asylum does), but right now I want to discuss the new shows on the docket.

For some reason I can't seem to find a decent rundown of what's new in cable (if you have a link or an in, please share in the comments), and I have to say that there's not a lot that's really calling to me.  Last year, I stuck to the bitter end with only two shows-American Horror Story and New Girl-every other new show I eventually dropped either because it was cancelled (Terra Nova) or because I lost interest (Person of Interest) or both (Pan Am).  So I know that only a couple of these shows will make it into a full season pass on TiVo and it might not even be one of these shows (New Girl I started watching about halfway through the season).  All of those asides being said, here are the five shows I'm going to give a try to, and we shall see if any become my new Lost or Desperate Housewives or The Office.


Nashville (ABC)
Pro: I need a new soap opera after losing Susan, Gaby, Bree, and Lynette after eight long seasons.  Connie Britton is a delight, and I do love me some country music.
Con: Not to be cruel, but doesn't this seem a little bit limiting?  And also, could someone tell me if I should just catch up on a season's worth of Revenge instead of taking up a new soap?


666 Park Avenue (ABC)
Pro: The cast and the premise-this looks like SO much fun, and I adore Terry O'Quinn and Vanessa Williams and crush on Dave Annable hard, so this is the perfect combo.  Combining horror and soap opera worked so well for AHS last year.
Con: Lightning rarely strikes twice, and I'm not just talking about AHS.  John Locke and Wilhelmina Slater were once-in-a-lifetime characters-how do you compete with that?


Last Resort (ABC)
Pro: The reviews on this one are spectacular, and I've heard complete raves about the pilot episode.  Though the cast does feature Andre Braugher and Bruce Davison, it's primarily made up of relative unknowns, which is good for ensemble dramas (which, for the record, is my favorite format for a TV show).
Con: I have this sneaking suspicion that this is one of those shows that will either get lost after its initial concept goes bad or is cancelled before it gets the chance to grow.


The New Normal (NBC)
Pro: I honestly don't need another comedy in my lineup, but Ryan Murphy's shows do tend to intrigue me, and having a gay couple at the center of a comedy could be very appealing (before you say Will & Grace, name one boyfriend of Will's aside from Bobby Cannavale, and I'll name you four off the top of my head that dated Debra Messing).  Ryan Murphy doesn't pull punches, and I suspect this could be both entertaining and groundbreaking.  Being on NBC, it doesn't need huge ratings to be a hit.
Con: Ryan Murphy also doesn't know how to tend to his shows well-Glee and AHS both went through spurts of great highs and great lows, and I expect the same here.  Though on the flip side I still watch both shows religiously, so maybe even that's a Pro.  Either way, I'm in.
  

Revolution (NBC)
Pro: Like Ponce de Leon, I may spend the rest of my television-watching days searching for the next Lost (if it's on right now and I'm missing it, please refer me to it in the comments).  This and Last Resort seem like the two most likely contenders.  Giancarlo Esposito is always welcome.
Con: It could also be the next Flash Forward, V, Terra Nova, The River...

And what about you?  What show are you most jonesing for?  Did you watch the RNC, and have a favorite speaker I should check out (I like to stay informed on both sides, regardless of how I may vote, so please share)?  Did you like Clint's speech?  And do you also search for the next "insert-your-favorite-show-in-the-blank-here" every fall season in hopes of finding something magical?

No comments: