Monday, September 24, 2007

TV's Trek to the Big Screen


Sex and the City is one of those shows that somehow managed to be as beloved in my world as the movies that I obsess about on an almost second-by-second basis. I think it might be the whole saga of the show-seriously, the soap operatics of this show on paper must seem a tad bit obscene, and yet with characters as brave and strong as Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha to fall in love with, everything seems to give over to a believable reality. Countless hours I have spent curled up with these fabulous ladies, obsessing over which one of them I'm most like (Charlotte, to the point where people I hardly know have insinuated I have a bit of Ms. York in me) to the countless string of Jimmy Choos the ladies click-clacked all up and down Lex. And yet, their recent movie news has got me thinking: which of my other favorite television series needs to get itself to the big screen?

Some of the movies that I would list have already (successfully) made their ways to the big screen (South Park and The Simpsons). Almost certainly the one that I most long for onscreen, and yet wouldn't happen in a million years, would be having my most beloved of teenage shows, Ally McBeal, return to the screen. I know that Calista Flockhart is on another hit television series on ABC (Brothers & Sisters, and yes, you should be watching it), Jane Krakowski is likely hoofing it up on Broadway, and Courtney Thorne-Smith is demeaning her worn, but sharp personality opposite Jim Belushi, but really, it's time these actors lawyered up and gave me what I've been waiting years and years for-a return to the courtroom. Hell, I'd settle for simply an office meeting and a show tunes medley down at the bar (with dancing baby in tow). Alas, David E. Kelley's best series won't be seeing the big screen anytime soon, so can I at least send out a plea-release the DVD's in a Region 1 version! I can't stand my lack of Ally anymore!

If Ally seems a pipe dream, perhaps a more believable fantasy would be the recently offed series Gilmore Girls coming back to me. Yes, yes, I know that it just went off the air, but I'm still in denial that I won't be able to see my Lorelai and Rory again. I'm specifically keeping my Tuesday nights busy at the moment, so as to not notice that my girls are no longer traipsing to town meetings and having disfunctional love lives. The movie could perhaps have Luke & Lorelai once again preparing for the wedding, with Emily barging in and Rory finally making a decision between Jess, Dean, and Logan. CW, you owe me this-the fact that you made me say goodbye to my girls in a season without its genius creator Amy Sherman-Palladino is unforgivable; this would make everything right.

What about you? Which TV shows do you want to see on the big screen?

3 comments:

adam k. said...

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. God, how it deserves it.

Ally would also be nice. That's one that I was very very into for a brief period circa age 15/16. Unfortunately, I miss the great first two seasons before I got hooked. I've only seen snippets (including the ones with JHoll in them, which I obviously adore, and which were taken down from YouTube recently, damn them).

adam k. said...

miss = missed

But I miss them, too.

Esther said...

The Streets of San Francisco. (I think every other cop show has already been made into a movie.)

That Girl. (Small-town girl coming to New York to find fame and fortune, finds love. What could be better?)

I'm near the end of a Sex and the City marathon and I'm loving it. This is the first time I've seen the whole series. I'm really looking forward to the movie now.