Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Ingrid Bergman!

Growing up, I was always a little jealous of my dad for being born on August 29th. Me, the only cool person born on my birthday was Harmon Killebrew (and I wasn't really into baseball). But my dad, he shared a birthday with none other than one of the greatest actresses of ALL-TIME, the lovely and beautiful Ms. Ingrid Bergman. Bergman may not have had the bravado of Bette Davis, the sauciness of Kate Hepburn, or the pixieish Hepburn, but she was a steady, lovely force in all of her films, and is one of the most determined, introverted actors I've ever seen.Here are five other facts about myself and my longtime love of Ms. Ingrid Bergman:
1. Ingrid Bergman is currently ranked fourth in my list of favorite female actors (outranked by only the Hepburns and Meryl).
2. Bergman gives my favorite performance in my favorite film, Casablanca.
3. Ingrid was not related to Ingmar Bergman, which I thought when I was growing up, though they did a film together called Autumn Sonata; it is the most glaring omission in my Ingrid viewings.
4. When asked about who is the best-lookiing actress in all of film history, I always say that Rita Hayworth was the sexiest, and Ingrid Bergman was the most beautiful.
5. Bergman, though one of the most-honored actors in all of film history at the Oscars, was not even nominated for what I consider her finest performances-that of the tortured and resilient Ilsa Lund in Casablanca and the persecuted Alicia Huberman in Notorious.

1 comment:

adam k. said...

Ingrid Bergman is indeed very beautiful. Such classically perfect features.

I almost share a birthday with Meryl Streep. I was born at 1:09am on June 23, so I'm mere minutes away from her day (June 22).

My mom and my good friend actually have August 28 and 30 as their birthdays, so maybe they're spiritually bonded to Bergman in some way.