Monday, April 24, 2006

75. Richard Attenborough (Jurassic Park)

75. Yes, I am perfectly aware that this is the fourth (if my count is right) performance from a film by Spielberg on this countdown-and let me tell you, it won't be the last. Though the Academy often ignores the performances featured by this master entertainer, I find the deceptively complicated, always rich and wide-eyed creations that Spielberg imparts enthralling and vital to his storytelling.

That said, I don't think anyone could disagree that Richard Attenborough's John Hammond is anything less than fun. The aging millionaire, out playing with all of his toys, wanting to make the world a better place, is a lovely piece to this millions-year-old puzzle. I have a feeling Tom Hanks will be playing this role in his seventies. Attenborough's beautiful speech about the fleas is chilling and heartbreaking. Jurassic Park, my personal favorite of all Spielberg movies, wouldn't be the same without his kind center. Plus, I would be robbed of his flawless line-reading of, "Welcome to Jurassic Park!" a quote that welcomes moviegoers into a world of magic that they may never wish to leave.

Spielberg film festivals are never hard to conduct, with so many choices, but may I recommend that you take Jurassic Park and up the ante with a double feature of Jurassic and Jaws, Spielberg's other monster movie. Get ready for good, arm-gripping fun (and maybe make two buckets of popcorn, as you know you''ll spill at least one during that opening scene at the beach).

No comments: