Thursday, October 01, 2020

It's Alive!!! Horror Movie Month is Back!!!!

Last year I was pretty bummed because thanks to real-life getting way too hectic, I was unable to do a repeat of our 2018 October Classic Horror Month...but that's not the case for 2020.  For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about two years ago I decided it was time to start filling in the gaps in my classic horror film screenings, and as a result, watched a lot of movies ranging from the late Silent Era all the way to the mid-1960's, with a special emphasis on Universal Studios and their original run of monster movies (and their sequels).  But when I wrote this, I obviously couldn't get all of the titles in one month, not even all of the Universal titles, and so I planned on doing a sequel (cause all good horror movies deserve a sequel), and for October 2020, we'll be doing just that.

Throughout the month of October, I will be discussing 15 titles from that same date range-beginning in the 1920's, and ending right around that 1960 mark.  The reason that I'm ending there is A) it's only a month and B) eventually with horror, the realistic violence aspect of the films started to take hold, and the movies would focus less on mood & ambiance, and more on abject carnality & sexuality.  I'm not knocking that in cinematic terms (violence is obviously wrong in real life), but it'd be weird to go from Boris Karloff to Texas Chainsaw Massacre in one marathon, and I still have a number of titles from the Classical Hollywood era that I haven't gotten to yet.

We'll be adding links every time I write a new review, but in case you're new to the blog (or to this series), I have included below a list to all of our past horror discussions.  This month, I'm really excited because we're going to be getting into a ton of the sequels (I'm hopeful we'll find a few hidden gems...I love classic horror sequels), as well as visiting a handful of landmark films of the era (but outside the Universal Monster canon) that I have never seen.  In fact, every title we'll be visiting this month will be new to me!  So grab your popcorn, look out for full moons, and join me for a month of scares!

Past Horror Month Reviews (Listed Chronologically): The Phantom of the OperaDraculaFrankensteinThe MummyFreaksThe Bride of FrankensteinMad LoveSon of FrankensteinThe Wolf ManThe Ghost of FrankensteinThe House of Frankenstein, Abbott and Costello Meet FrankensteinIt Came from Outer SpaceCreature from the Black LagoonInvasion of the Body SnatchersThe Masque of the Red Death

No comments: